How to set up Thunderbird for Gmail
Tutorial on how to set up Thunderbird for Gmail
Thunderbird + Gmail.
Thunderbird offers you the possibility to read your Gmail without the need to enter your account online. With Thunderbird client, you will have more convenient interface than the usual one, and all changes in your emails will synchronize immediately thanks to the fact, that Gmail can use IMAP protocol for Thunderbird. So, follow us and learn how you can set up Thunderbird for Gmail!
Let's set up Thunderbird for Gmail!
1. Firstly, you need to sign in your Gmail account in order to set up POP3 and IMAP protocols.
On the right, you will see a cogwheel (or a gear), you need to click on that icon and then select ‘Settings’ from the pop-up menu.
2. Now you need to open settings for POP and IMAP protocols. Click on the line ‘Forwarding and POP/IMAP’.
3. Here you need to find the settings for IMAP. Simply tick ‘Enable IMAP’, and then scroll down on the page to the very bottom and click ‘Save Changes’.
Additionally, you can enable POP protocol. It is not absolutely necessary, though, as IMAP is more advanced and convenient protocol.
4. Now you only need to launch Thunderbird and enter your details there, so your Gmail account will be connected. Click ‘Email’ to open menu for email configuration.
5. Enter your details (1), and make sure they are correct! Check in the box ‘Remember password’ (2), and then click on the button ‘Continue’.
6. Now you will see that IMAP protocol will be selected automatically, and then click ‘Done’. Finally, your Gmail account was set up in Thunderbird!
7. PAY ATTENTION! You may not enter with your actual details (Thunderbird will show the message 'Incorrect username or password'). Check again your details. If they are correct, you need to follow this link and change settings for Gmail account.
In the tab 'Password' check if 2-step verification is turn on (1). If so, you need to enter the password that Google will send to you to allow access for Thunderbird. If 2-step verification is switched off, you need to enable access for less secure apps (2). Click on settings and then click ‘Enable’ and 'Done'. Now you can enter actual password for email in order to connect Gmail account.
You are welcome to download Thunderbird from here and set it up right now!